Wednesday, April 7, 2010

WDW Wednesday: Legend of the Giant Chicken Finger


Funny story. I wrote this blog during my lunch hour at work. Then I go to check the latest news this afternoon and see that my dear sister has written a blog about her favorite guilty pleasure foods. That's the sister-wister frequency working it's magic.

So my guilty pleasure? Chicken fingers. I love chicken fingers and the best chicken fingers in the world are the old school chicken fingers from Disney World.  Every time I begin planning a trip down to Disney World, it also includes when, where, and how many times I can get a chicken finger basket. The fingers WERE big strips of chicken with plenty of breading on them.  Unfortunately, the fingers have changed recently to "nuggets". Not like the McNuggets that have really questionable chicken in them, but smaller versions of the fingers, with even more breading and less chicken. Actually, they are called chicken BREAST nuggets because that is far classier than just a regular chicken nugget.

Don't get me wrong. I still would not turn down the chicken nuggets there. In fact, just talking about them is making me want to pack my bag and drive all night and part of a day tomorrow just to go get some of that chickeny deliciousness. Still, the new chicken nuggets don't measure up to the Disney World Chicken Finger of years past.

The most legendary of these chicken fingers was from May of 2007. The Goog and I were at MGM Studios and we wanted to have a nice dinner there, but all the nice restaurants had over an hour wait for each of them. So instead we went to the Backlot Express, a quick service restaurant which isn't one of our typical places that we frequent when we are at the parks. The menu happened to have chicken finger baskets on it and since I hadn't had a chicken finger fix in at least 24 hours, that is what I ordered.

I'm chowing down on my fingers when I discover this:

THE WORLD'S LARGEST CHICKEN FINGER. Goog and I are wondering how big a chicken had to be in order to make a chicken finger THIS BIG. ;-) Oh, it was sooo delicious!

The next time I went to Disney World they had switch to the nuggets, but I will always remember that magical day when I feasted on that giant chicken finger.

7 comments:

  1. That must've been the worlds biggest Chicken. Wait...I should count my fingers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. chicken, my sister might eat you so watch your back!

    We've actually been to the backlot express several times when we go to MGM. Why? Because they have drink machines that you refill yourselves so you can basically get unlimited refills. And don't' think we don't carry our paper cup around all day so we can get a refill later. THAT'S a true story.

    Their chicken fingers are top notch, I have to agree. I like to dip mine in mustard when I'm at Disney -- this isn't a phenomenon that happens anywhere else but Disney. I am very sad I never got the World's Largest!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was like they gave you the biggest chicken finger ever to compensate for the smallest ones to come. so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That thing is ginormous!! My biggest D-Land/World guilty pleasure? The Mickey shaped ice cream bar. Simple, I know. But no other vanilla ice cream/hard chocolate shell combination compares. Perfect on a hot day, strolling down main street. Ok, now I need to plan a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure it's a chicken finger? Huey, Dewey, and Louie come to mind when I see that.

    Lamb’s Most Recent Post: Guest Bloggers Needed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm....chicken fingers! One of my fave foods for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's not a chicken finger, that is a chicken hand! okay, chickens don't have hands, but they don't have fingers either - why do they call them that? Very cool though! And Amanda, I'd carry around a cup all day for free refills too!

    ReplyDelete