Thursday, April 15, 2010

What happens when your husband coaches baseball

The beginning of spring brings the beginning of baseball season and the beginning of baseball season means the Goog spends lots of time away from the house. He is helping coach a high school baseball team this year and has also joined a softball league. If there is any time left after the coaching and the playing, he is probably watching the Cincinnati Reds. Goog LOVES himself some baseball. As we were watching the Reds game tonight, he pointed out how the manager and some assistant coach in the dugout both had on the shirt he bought. There were even modeling it the same way as Goog and B-i-L, with one guy rocking the short sleeves and the other guy with the long sleeves. In the SAME dugout. CRAZINESS!!


With all the baseball-ness going on, I needed to find something to occupy the time that I wasn't watching TV or blogging or reading people's blogs. Lucky for me, FarmVille had this new thing they were calling a Co-Op where you and a bunch of your farmer friends plant the same fruit or veggie or flower all at the same time. Then if you grow them fast enough, you get a GOLD medal. Its kind of like the Olympics of virtual farming.

When I was still in college, I was part of the co-op program at the University of Cincinnati, where you work for a quarter then take classes for a quarter. You rotate between work and school for a couple years, giving you valuable work experience and college credit hours all at the same time. I was so good at my co-op job that I was named "Accounting Co-Op of the YEAR" after I graduated. I just knew I was going to be awesome at this whole Co-Op thing!!

This certificate gives me all the qualifications I need to because the world's greatest virtual farm co-op manager. 

It turns out that I pretty much rock at being a co-op manager. My mom and sister, my second cousin, and my great aunt all started coordinating these co-ops so that we were guaranteed gold, and I'm always the leader of these coordination.  Under my management, we've already gotten 6 gold medals and are on our way to another. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to include "Virtual Farm manager" on my resume to demonstrate my killer management skills.

The problem with these co-ops is that I usually have to wait a full 24 hours before I can start the next co-op.  In my quest to find something fun to do/play while my co-op crops were growing, I decided to give the new Treasure Isle a shot. I'd seen a couple of my friends asking for fruits and gemstones and hey! I like fruit! I like gemstones! So I'm going through the tutorial thinking how stupid and lame the game is and how I don't get the purpose. THEN! Look what pops up:







 OMG! How can I NOT play a game that has baby panthers in it? Do you see how it is about to cry? Is that not completely heartbreaking? I am a sucker for sad animals. But wait! There are even more really sad, tear-y eyed animals including a margay, BABY SEAL, toucan and sloth. I want to take a tiny little tissue and wipe away their little tears and make them feel all better.



So any time one of these super sad animals appear on my Facebook homepage, I have to adopt them! I'm the Angelina Jolie of virtual jungle animals.  Here's what my own little tropical island looks like.


The thing I like the best about this game is it is preparing me for the cruise my family is going on starting June 13th! One of our stops on the cruise is to a private island, and I might just decide to stay on the island since I'll be an expert Islander by then!

7 comments:

  1. Um, this is how I got into farmville. I could not STAND all the sad animals and now this??? I do not have time to manage an island AND a farm! This virtual life is stressing me out. Your sad panther almost did it for me the other day. I really had to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So maybe vitual gaming is where my manager got his killer manager skills??

    Those animals are way to sad to pass up! I'm glad you are saving them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another reason I am not allowing myself a facebook account. I would be so addicted to the games. I would probably dream Farmville, animals, country side, and gold? What's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sad sloth is probably the cutest sloth I've ever seen! It almost makes me want to start playing, but not quite! Maybe you'll be able to keep the island you visit and make all the sad animals there happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that the Reds people were wearing the same shirt as Goog and b-i-l. Apparently good taste knows no bounds ;)
    I can't get into another game - trying to keep up with the sad animals on my own farm and my mom's when she doesn't play is hard enough - then hubby will occasionally text me when he's at work and ask me to take care of such-and-such. But it is so easy to get sucked in! And hey, now you have an excellent item for your resume :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I'm the same way but only on Farmville. I keep getting tons and tons of animals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have just pinpointed the reason that I cannot play any of those games. The poor sad cute animals make me feel so guilty and awful and sad that I want nothing to do with any of it. I would be like a sad animal hoarder.

    PS. Congrats, Auntie!!! :)

    ReplyDelete