Friday, July 9, 2010

South Carolina: Made for Vacation

I had an weird conversation with one of my co-workers today. I'll just call him "WDG". He is out next week on vacation so I was just inquiring where he was going on vacation. Not something, in my opinion, that is very prying. The conversation went like this:

Me: Are you out all next week?
WDG: Yep, Yep.
Me: Where are you going?
WDG: Um....(longer than necessary pause) South Carolina. 

 First off, South Carolina has over 200 miles of beaches.  It is, after all, a coastal state. But I can't rule out a vacation in the Blue Ridge Mountains or on a a lake. Naturally, coming from Huntington, WV, I would guess he was going to Myrtle Beach because that is THE hot spot beach for all Huntingtonians. Maybe I should be impressed that he is going to see and do everything possible in South Caroline in one week.  So i continue:


Me: Well...WHERE in South Carolina? That's a pretty big state.
WDG: Hilton Head (which he said very matter-of-factly, like that is the only thing to do in South Carolina)

What is even weirder is WDG has gone to other beach vacations before and he is always very clear about which beach. It isn't like when he goes to a beach in Floirda. He doesn't just say he is going to "Florida," but will say he is going to Destin or Pensacola. 

I'm a little guilty of doing this because I'll often say I'm go on vacation to "Florida," but you can bet your bottom dollar that my definition of "Florida" is a Disney World sandwich on some Gainesville bread...that is a visit in Gainesville, followed by a trip to Disney, followed by another visit in Gainesville.

I decided that whenever I go anywhere now, I'm just going to give just the state I'm going. Let people try to guess what exactly I'm doing in that state. If I decide one weekend to go to Columbus, I'm just going to say I'm going to Ohio, despite the fact that I work in Ohio. Maybe I want to take a trip to Lexington...that just a minor detail, people just need to know I'm going to Kentucky. So what if I actually live in Kentucky.

Was I wrong to think there were other things to do in South Carolina besides Hilton Head? Do you enjoy awkward small-talk conversations at work? What state are you visiting this weekend?

4 comments:

  1. Ha, there are many things to do in SC besides Hilton Head. Usually when people ask me where I"m going on vacay I just say "the beach". I guess that's not very specific either but at least they know what kind of vactioning I'll be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think saying "the beach" would have been more specific than saying South Carolina. Something tells me he's up to no good! Maybe an illicit affair? Maybe he's really embarrassed that he's going to SC? I think it is weird. Like if you're going to a destination, you say the destination. If I'm going to the beach I say "the beach" but if it's a city I say the city...Orlando...Savannah...etc and so on. What a weirdo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um NO you weren't wrong. My mom lives in Charleston (where I'm going next month) and it is pretty much one of the coolest places EVER. Pffft Hilton Head's got nothing on Charleston.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe he is embarrassed to say he was going to HH? I'm not a big fan of it myself, but being from Huntington I definately would choose Myrtle Beach! haha

    ReplyDelete