Monday, June 14, 2010

On Which Beach Would You Most Like to be Stranded, Sarah Mac?

This is a scheduled post because I am soaking up some sun slathered up in SPF 100+ in the Bahamas. 

Travel Channel, which is owned by my place of employment, has a blog called Terminal T that let's it's employees blog about their travel adventures.  Why should the Travel Channel employees get all the bloggy fun? (You can find the actual, official Terminal T blog here). One of the series of posts on Terminal T was which beach several TC employees would like to be stranded. It just so happens that I am spending today on my very favorite of all beach.


Today we are at Disney's private island, Castaway Cay. (Don't be confused like I was the first time I came...it doesn't rhyme with May, it's pronounced key.) Fun fact according to Wikipedia, this island has been used for filming the beach where Tom Hanks first encounters Daryl Hannah in Splash is on the island. Before Disney bought it, it was called Gorda Cay and was once used as a stop for drug runners. Nice.


Today we are at Disney's private island, Castaway Cay. (Don't be confused like I was the first time I came...it doesn't rhyme with May, it's pronounced key.) Fun fact according to Wikipedia, this island has been used for filming the beach where Tom Hanks first encounters Daryl Hannah in Splash is on the island. Before Disney bought it, it was called Gorda Cay and was once used as a stop for drug runners. Nice.

I'm not normally a big beach person. I am the whitest person in Holland and I can get a sunburn from sitting under an umbrella. I'm also usually very sensitive to water and I hate to get wet. But Castaway Cay seems to turn me into the biggest beach bum. Here are a few reasons I love it:


Serenity Bay Beach is a mile-long adults only beach. No, perv, adults only doesn't mean some crazy nude beach...come on, it's DISNEY. But it does mean that only no kids or teens. I'm surprised nobody has every questioned if I was old enough to be on that beach since most people think I am 16. The best thing about the beach is it isn't as crowded as the family beach. Notice how in the picture there isn't a soul on the beach.




Caribbean water is so much better than, say, the East Coast water.  It is crystal clear and is probably made from unicorn tears just like the sand on the beach is actually pixie dust.  I am standing in knee deep water and my feet (or at least the part not buried in sand).





There are cool Disney movie and ride artifacts, so it is like being at a beach version of Disney World.  The Flying Dutchman pirate ship, from the Pirates of the Caribbean film series, is on display in the lagoon.  All the women the walk past the Flying Dutchman like to swoon over the fact the Johnny Depp has been on that boat.


It has a lot of character...and a lot of characters!  Happy Monday everybody! Now it's time for me to go back to relaxing.

2 comments:

  1. Disney vacation fever is getting bad!!! Thanks for sharing and I hope you are having super amounts of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is me being SO JEALOUS of your vacation!! I'd say "have fun", but I'm pretty sure you have that covered. (But yeah make sure to keep applying the sunscreen.)

    ReplyDelete