Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Tour of the Aronoff Center


Every spring in Cincinnati, there is a big campaign for the arts called the “Fine Arts Fund.” Companies and their employees are asked to donate to support the arts. My company used to have big events / team building activities for the Fine Arts Fund. One year,  we were broken into groups and each group had to go all “design on a dime” on a lampshade. Best lampshade won a prize. Then another year we had a “march madness” themed campaign and we had a pop-a-shot b-ball tournament where my team actually won (surprisingly with MY help) a silver medal and free lunch. Then the following year we had a rip-off of the pop-a-shot tournament, which was a bowling themed tournament. It was not as awesome because my team did not win anything.


Instead of a big campaign this year, the company opted for a special, behind-the-scenes tour of the Aronoff Center.  I actually preferred this to some big sports-themed campaign because 1.) I’m terrible at all sports and 2.) I love Broadway shows. The Goog and I had season tickets to the “Broadway Across America” tour for a couple years, so I thought it would be fun to go behind the scenes, since we’ve been to the Aronoff Center so many times. So on Monday, a group of about 10 of our employees went on an exclusive tour. 


Highlights and fun facts from the tour:
  • -The Aronoff Center is not haunted…at least that was what our tour guide told us. 
  • -It isn’t as glamorous or as exciting as you might think behind the scenes. It very much looks like my elementary school hallways. Very sterile; very white. 
  • -The truck drivers that bring all the set up stuff for tours hate the loading docks of the Aronoff because the loading docks are in this tiny little alley.
  • -Cincinnati has the second largest number of members for “Broadway Across America”. The first largest is Tampa. So Cincinnati gets some of the best selections of touring Broadway shows.


  • -When the Lion King was in a couple years ago, they had one of the rooms in the basement set up as an “animal hospital” where they would repair the animal costumes daily.
<----This is what I imagine a Lion King animal hospital would look like.



  • -When the Aronoff Center was built, there was one important thing missing: a giant mirror in the Rehearsal Hall. It would only cost a $1,000 to get one of those mirrors, but it has become a trademark of the Aronoff, so they have never gotten a mirror.
     
  • -We got to stand on stage in the Procter and Gamble Hall: the same stage as all the Broadway shows we’ve seen! 
  • -The P&G stage feels springy…perfect for DANCING
  • -Mary Poppins is the next touring show at the Aronoff, and we got to see where Mary Poppins herself will be getting ready! We also saw some ensemble dressing rooms.
  • ---> That picture is of the smaller theater. I couldn't get a good picture of P&G Hall  because of the Mary Poppins crew setting up the stage. Did you know it takes a full week to set up Mary Poppins? You do now.

  • -I really, really, really want need to see Mary Poppins. 
  • -The art gallery that is located in the Aronoff Center is hosting a discotheque/rave in the basement of the building on June 5th of this year. I think I know where the Goog and I are going for our 1st anniversary!
True or false? These people would enjoy a discotheque / rave. 

 So this spring, support your local arts! Go to a play or a museum or something else artsy fartsy!

5 comments:

  1. I love artsy fartsy local arts! There is a precious little theater within walking distance of our house, did you know THAT? you do now!

    I think it's a LIKELY STORY that it's not haunted. What theater is not haunted? I call shenanigans.

    I don't believe those people would enjoy a discotheque at all especially since their sister/sister-in-law did most of the dancing at their wedding. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to the center before and it's great! I love going to shows there. I totally wish I could see Mary Poppins on stage. That would be so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely say "true".

    This sounds really cool! Although I prefer to believe that the place is haunted. No one can tell me differently!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the giant mirror for in the rehearsal hall?

    Mary Poppins would be so much fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the "animal hospital" ;)

    and seriously, it must be haunted. They should at least pretend it is so they can get Jay and Grant and the team to investigate - bring in more dollas for the artsy fartsy stuff! ;)

    ReplyDelete